DIY: Create Your Own Maxi Skirt
Maxi skirt! They’re everywhere right now. They’re long, they’re flowing, and the best part is they’re comfortable. They bring a feminine bohemian vibe that women can’t resist. But you need to spend your money at least $100 to purchase. And why not you make your own? There are some maxi skirt tutorial in internet. All you need to do is choose the simplest steps according your ability in sewing. These maxi skirts are very fashionable and definitely can be made quite easily.
Below are some steps of the basic maxi skirt tutorial. Check it out!
The first thing you must do is prepare your tools/things, such as; 2 yards fabric, Elastic, 2 inches wide, Matching thread, Measuring tape, Scissors, Sewing machine
- Measure around your waist, with the measuring tape, at the point where you want your skirt to sit.
- Add 1/2 inch to the measurement and cut your elastic to the length you measured.
- Add 6 1/2 inches to the original measurement and cut a rectangle this length by 5 inches wide for the waistband.
- Measure from your waist to your ankle or where you want your skirt to fall to. Add 1 inch for the length measurement.
- Measure around your hips. Multiply this measurement by 1.5 for the width. Cut a rectangle from your fabric using the length you measured in Step 4 and the hip width measurement. This will be used for your skirt’s body.
- Fold the waistband in half lengthwise. Match and pin the short ends together. Use a 1/2-inch seam allowance to sew the ends together. Press the seam open to make a loop.
- Fold the waistband loop in half widthwise. Match and pin the raw edges together. Sew along the edge using a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Leave about 3 inches unstitched near the previous seam.
- Fold the skirt body in half lengthwise. Match and pin the length edges together. Sew using a 1/2-inch seam allowance to make a tube.
- Baste the top edge of the skirt. Gather the stitches until the top of the skirt body is the same diameter as the waistband. Match and pin the raw edge of the waistband to the gathered edge of the skirt body. Use a 1/2-inch seam allowance to sew together. Leave the section with the waistband opening unstitched.
- Pull the elastic through the waistband using the opening. Overlap the ends of the elastic by 1/2 inch. Use a zigzag stitch to sew the ends in place.
- Place elastic entirely inside the waistband. Sew the remaining section of the skirt body to the waistband to close the opening.
- Topstitch the skirt body about a 1/4 inch below the waistband seam. Fold the bottom of the skirt to the inside by 1/2 inch. Pin in place. Topstitch in place.
- To use smaller elastic, decrease the width of the waistband fabric by the same proportions.
- If using a knit fabric, use a zigzag stitch on any seams that will stretch.
These were are some simple steps of maxi skirt tutorial. This maxi skirt is feminine, looks good on any woman and is practical in almost any situation. So, don’t hesitate to make it by yourself, but if you feel hard to do it, you can go visit a pro-tailor and create your own design of maxi skirts! Good luck!